GEORGINA ISLAND FIRST NATION HISTORY
1690s - The Chippewa people migrated
from Lake Superior into the Lake Simcoe region.
1780-1820 - Chief Joseph Snake and his band occupied
the land around the southern and southwestern part of Lake Simcoe.
1830 - Chief Joseph Snake, Chief William Yellowhead,
Chief John Assance and their bands formed one large reserve in the Narrows
1839 - The Narrows Reservation was almost completely
1840-1842 - Chief Joseph Snake returned to Snake Island
on Lake Simcoe.
1861 - Families moved from Snake Island to Georgina
1870s - Most of the band was now located on Georgina
Today 179 members of 618 band members permanently reside
on the island. Management is governed by an elected band council, consisting
of one chief and four councillors. There is an administration building,
the health centre, a police station, a fire hall and a community center.
As well, the island children attend a two-classroom school until Grade
5, and there is a daycare for infants and toddlers. A church, the community
center and an outdoor rink provide opportunities for the community to
gather for various events.